This page of the website is dedicated to publications and other resources that focus on at-risk populations. Many of these materials can also be found in Publications & Reports or Statistics. Additional materials that focus on special populations may also be found in Research Summaries and other Resources. The following resources are organized by topic of interest: Elderly, Ethnicity, Homeless, LGBTQ communities, Military personnel, Prisoners, Refugee/immigrants, and Rural populations.
- Preventing and Responding to Domestic & Sexual Violence Later Life. The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) has an information packet (fact sheet, resource list, annotated bibliography) that focuses on working with survivors of sexual violence in later life.
- Injustice on our Plates. Immigrant Women in the U.S. Food Industry. Southern Poverty Law Center. 2010. This publication examines the exploitation and violence experienced by immigrant women. Section 3 specifically discusses sexual violence. [Posted 12/7/10].
- Native American Community Justice Project—Beginning the Dialogue: Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Stalking, & Teen-Dating Violence Research Report. May 2010
- Native American Community Justice Project—Beginning the Dialogue: Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Stalking, & Teen Violence Policy Paper. May 2010.
- MEZCOPH summary of Sexual Assault Among Diverse Populations of Women: Common Ground, Distinctive Features, and Unanswered Questions. From Handbook of Diversity in Feminist Psychology. Abbey, A., Jacques-Tiura, A., & Parkhill, M.R. (2010). [Posted 6/24/10].
- Offenses Known to Law Enforcement by State, Tribal, and Other agencies, 2010. Violent Crime and Forcible Rape in Arizona, 2010.
- Preventing Sexual Assault in Latin@ Communities: A national needs assessment. National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC). 2013. Link to Infographic. [Posted 9/2013].
- Sexual Assault in Indian Country, Confronting Sexual Violence. (2000). National Sexual Violence Resource Center.
- Sexual Violence in the Lives of African American Women. West, C. (October, 2006). Harrisburg, PA:VAWnet, a project of the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence/Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence. [Posted 9/20/10].
- Reaching Latino Victims of Sexual Violence. A Marketing Toolkit. Written and developed by the Sexual Assault Resource and Counseling Center of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. Produced by the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape. [Posted 12/7/10].
- Social and Economic Status of Latina Immigrants in Phoenix. Fact Sheet, May 2010. Institute for Women's Policy Research. [Posted 11/1/10].
- An Infographic created by the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) details the link between housing insecurity and sexual violence.
- No Safe Place: Sexual Assault in the Lives of Homeless Women. Goodman, L. A., Fels, K., & Glenn, C. Contributions from Benitez, J. (September 2006). Harrisburg, PA: VAWnet, a project of the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence/Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence. [Posted 9/20/10].
- Runaway & Homeless Youth and Relationship Violence Toolkit. Guidance and Materials for Practitioners. The Toolkit was developed by and for advocates in the runaway and homeless youth and domestic and sexual assault fields. [Posted 03/15/10]
- 2011 National School Climate Survey. The survey examined experiences of LGBT students with regard to indicators of negative school climate and the effects of a hostile school climate on academic achievement, educational aspirations, and psychological well-being. Report from the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network. [Posted 7/2013].
- Hate Violence against the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Communities in the United States in 2012. A report from the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (NCAVP). The report includes statistics, trends, narratives, responses and recommendations. [Posted 7/2013].
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Domestic Violence/Intimate Partner Violence in the United States in 2011. A report from the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Program (NCAVP). The report includes definitions of domestic violence/intimate partner violence in LGBTQ communities, report findings, and recommendations for policy makers. [Posted 7/2013].
- Power and Control Wheel for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Relationships. Developed by Roe & Jagodinsky.
- The National Defense Authorization Act includes the largest (19) amount of sexual assault provisions that have ever been signed into law.
- The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) published a guide, Sexual Violence in the Military: a Guide for Civilian Advocates that focuses on sexual violence in the military and it includes resources for advocates.
- At MakeTheConnection.net, veteransand their families can find information on mental health issues, treatment, and support; as well as how to confront issues of transitioning from service, daily life as a civilian, and any health issues they may face.
- Sexual violence in the military, infographic from the NSVRC.
Summary of Sexual Victimization in Juvenile Facilities Reported by Youth 2011-2012. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Summary of the incidence and prevalence of sexual violence within juvenile correctional facilities. Link to full BJS report. [Posted 6/2013].
Summary of Sexual Victimization in Prisons and Jails Reported by Inmates, 2011-2012. National inmate survey, 2011-12. U.S. Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Link to full BJS report. [Posted 6/2013]
- No Refuge Here, A First Look at Sexual Abuse in Immigration Detention. 2004. This report examines the problem of sexual abuse in immigration detention centers in the United States.
- Refugee and Asylum Seeking Women Affected by Rape or Sexual Violence: A Literature Review. Refugee Council (February 2009).
- Unspoken Crimes, Sexual Assault in Rural America. A booklet published by the NSVRC. [Posted 6/2014]
- Sexual Assault in Rural Communities, an applied research brief and paper. [Posted 6/2014]
- Barriers to Reporting Sexual Assault in Rural Communities. (2009). Moore, L. Published by the National Association of Forensic Nurses. [Posted 6/2014]