Objective: Religion has been shown to have a positive impact on well-being and to play an important role in coping with stressful life events. However, the buffering effect of religiosity on mental health, after a particularly stressful life event such as sexual assault, has not been studied. In this study we examined the buffering effect of religion on mental health and depression for women who report experiencing sexual assault while in the military.
This study used a naturalistic quasi-experimental design to examine whether rape survivors who had the assistance of rape victim advocates had more positive experiences with the legal and medical systems compared to those who did not work with advocates. Eighty-one survivors were interviewed in two urban hospitals about what services they received from legal and medical system personnel and how they were treated during these interactions.
Counselors in all settings work with clients who are survivors of trauma. Vicarious trauma, or counselors developing trauma reactions secondary to exposure to clients' traumatic experiences, is not uncommon. The purpose of this article is to describe vicarious trauma and summarize the recent research literature related to this construct. The Constructivist Self-Development Theory (CSDT) is applied to vicarious trauma, and the implications CSDT has for counselors in preventing and managing vicarious trauma are explored.
Focuses on a study of the relationship between the daily stressors and physical symptoms in college-age women with a childhood history of sexual abuse and women without a history of childhood sexual abuse. Method; Characteristics of the participants; Data analyses; Conclusions
An exploratory, qualitative study generated hypotheses about women in violent heterosexual relationships: reasons women stay, what helps end the violence, barriers, potential early warning signs, resources, racial differences, and location differences. Twenty-two focus groups of urban and rural African American and White women in five U.S. regions were convened. Participants were at least 18 years of age, had experienced physical violence in intimate relationships, and had been free of violence for at least 6 months.
Describes the frequency of possible risk factors that emerged in a study of psychosocial response to sexual assault among African-American, Hispanic, and non-Hispanic White women during treatment at a major urban rape treatment center. Of 881 victims screened, 51% had no observable risk factors while the remaining 49% were in categories of increased vulnerability, such as mental disability, prior history of rape or incest, tourist or visitor status, and homelessness.
Previous studies of the effects of rape on men have focused mainly on clinical populations. This study extended current research by investigating the effects of rape on a non-clinical sample of men recruited from the general population by media advertising. A total of 40 male rape victims were asked to provide details of their assaults, levels of psychological disturbance, long-term effects, and reporting issues. Results revealed that most assaults had been carried out using physical or violent force, in a variety of different circumstances.
This study examined correlates of past-year chronic medical conditions and lifetime contact with health care professionals for mental health and substance abuse problems in women with differing histories of sexual victimization (N = 627) identified from the National Comorbidity Survey (e.g., assault in childhood, adulthood, or both life phases). Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and stressful life events were associated with greater odds of chronic medical conditions among women sexually assaulted in childhood only.
Described sexual abuse (SA) among 14 adult women with mild mental retardation and examined the characteristics and experiences of the SA among them. Ss were interviewed and administered the Socio-Sexual Knowledge and Attitude Test. 11 Ss reported 59 separate instances of SA. Nearly 82% of the survivors were molested prior to their 18th birthday. Sex education did not prevent SA, but instead increased the reporting of SA. Most of the Ss received no medical, psychological, or legal help.
Examines historical factors related to African American women's rape and their disclosure patterns, by comparing the similarities and differences in incidents of attempted or completed rape in a community sample of 55 African American and white women. Sexuality and rape in colonial America; Barriers to disclosure of rape; Method; Results; Discussion